Table of Contents:
- How the brain learned to read
- Reading lessons from Proust and the squid
- How the brain adapted itself to read: the first writing systems
- The birth of an alphabet and Socrates' protests
- How the brain learns to read over time
- The beginnings of reading development, or not
- The "natural history" of reading development: connecting the parts of the young reading brain
- The unending story of reading's development
- When the brain can't learn to read
- Dyslexia's puzzle and the brain's design
- Genes, gifts, and dyslexia
- From the reading brain to "what comes next"
And here's an interview with the author, Maryanne Wolf: Embracing Dyslexia. There's also a good article at Mind/Shift: Understanding Dyslexia and the Reading Brain in Kids.