- Shorten Your Writing with Action Verbs
- Shortening Prose
- How to Shorten Your College Essay Without Ruining It!
- Improve the Readability of Your Writing
- How to Avoid Going Over an Essay Word Limit
- Trouble Sticking to Your Word Count? Try These Editing Tricks
Not edited (54 words): Somebody has said that words are a lot like inflated money - the more of them that you use, the less each one of them is worth. Right on. Go through your entire letter just as many times as it takes. Search out and annihilate all unnecessary words and sentences - even entire paragraphs.
Edited ruthlessly (39 words): Somebody said that words are like inflated money - the more you use, the less each one is worth. Go through your entire letter as many times as it takes. Annihilate all unnecessary words, sentences - even paragraphs.