Saturday, January 26, 2013

Word Mix-Up: ROLE and ROLL

ROLE: The noun "role" refers to the part that a character plays. It comes to English from French rôle (Old French rolle), which was literally the roll of paper on which an actor's part was written.

ROLL: The noun "roll" has a similar origin: it comes to English from Old French rolle, which is in turn from Latin rotulus, meaning a roll of paper; compare Latin rotula, meaning a small wheel, from the word rota, "wheel" which gives us English "rotate."  The meaning of "roll" as dough which is rolled before being baked goes back to the 15th century.

(role image source - roll image source)
(single image)

No comments:

Post a Comment